It’s here. No, not the dog, not my mom…the ham. Paul’s pride and joy now lives in our cucina.
All the delicious details:
- Type of ham: Pata Negra
- Purchased in Madrid, Spain
- This pig’s diet: acorns. According to Ryan’s Spanish friend *Jose, the fat in this ham is actually more like olive oil–unsaturated–than regular grain-fed pigs.
- Ham stand and knife on loan from Ryan
- Desired thickness of each slice: “paper thin”
- Level of difficulty to achieve PT slices: 9 (on a scale of 1-10)
- Similar to Italian ham, Prosciutto. However, one does not put a protective layer of salt on Pata Negra (*nearly threw us out of the car when he heard the question). Instead a layer of fat is preserved and replaced on top of the ham after every cutting, then a kitchen towel. Fancy.
- Price: approximately same as Baby’s college tuition (inflation included)
This is certainly not the end of it. Look for more updates to come…