It’s the best way to describe being in Venice. We had such a great trip last weekend. Highlights here:
- What promised to be a cute little hotel in a central area on Hotels.com turned out to be a cute little hotel in a central area.
- Two delicious meals at acclaimed restaurants: Osteria Santa Marina and Da Fiore (with a Michelin star, no less).
- Sunny (but cold) weather.
- Fantastical nature of Venice was amped up a notch with the start of Carnivale, which produced thousands of people in masks and costumes. A kind of Marie Antoinette meets Halloween.
- *Corny American woman riding along in a gondola while animatedly nodding her head in an effort to “lead” a group of other corny tourists in a rousing chorus of “Country Roads”. Seriously, it’s 80 Euros to ride in the boat and this is how you want do it? I mean, I love my J. Denver but…
- It really is a city built on water. Lovely. Romantic. Picturesque.
*By popular request, okay one person asked, a photo of Miss West Virginia Singalong is attached below.
*And the Chanteuse of Venice, by way of Colorado (furthest right):